Make a plan
- What junk do you need to throw out? Book the council cleanup!
- What can you sell on EBay or Gumtree? Start putting anything of value that you don’t want online. Get rid of it before you have to pay for it to be moved
- What are you going to move yourself and what are you going to get the removalist to move? Make a list with three sections – Me/Us, Removalist, Ebay/Gumtree, and start filling it out
- Change your address with all your services
- Organise a child minder or pet reminders for the removal day
Typically what people pack and move themselves
- Valuables – Passports, birth certificates, jewellery, documents
- BBQ gas cylinder (removalists typically are not allowed to take these)
Typically what people pack themselves when opting for a pre-packing service
- Bathroom cabinet contents into a box
- Bedside drawer contents into a box
- Clothing into boxes
- Baby cots – baby cots shouldn’t be touched by removalists. You should disassemble and then reassemble it in your new home
- Empty your drawers. They have to be empty in order to move them.
- Don’t overfill boxes. They need to be closed so they can stack easily. You should be able to close it and tape the top shut so it is flat.
- Use the same size boxes if possible. This makes it easier to stack.
- Disassemble your flat pack furniture. Not taking it apart increases the risk of it breaking. You have to weigh up whether it’s worth the effort.
- Don’t water your pot plants the day before you move.
- Prepare your whitegoods – defrost your freezer if needed, unplug your washing machine.
- Back up your computer hard drive.
- Drain any petrol from lawnmowers, edgers, trimmers, chainsaws etc. It’s unsafe, besides, you don’t want petrol leaking onto your furniture and belongs.
- If you don’t opt for a packing service — have everything packed and ready to load. If the removalist team arrive and have to pack your stuff, it’s standard practice to charge for this.
- Point out any fragile goods so the removal team know to take special care.
- Pack an essentials box. The box with all the stuff you need as soon as you get into your new home. Kettle, coffee/tea, cups, toothbrush, brush, sunglasses etc. You don’t want to be rummaging around for your essentials that might be in different boxes.
Looking for a removalist in Sutherland Shire?
Now that you have some essential tips on how to make to make moving a little bit less painful, you’ll need to find a removalist who can help. Shire Removalist can guide you through the process and develop a custom made a plan that best suits your needs. We can help you make your house move as pain free as possible. You can reach out to us by either calling direct via phone or sending through a quote request via our Quote Request Form.